Customs House Weekly Series #13
Do you wish to import items by air, sea or post; here are some tidbits you may find useful:
PASSENGER ALLOWANCE WHEN CLEARING CUSTOMS AT THE AIRPORT
- Passengers 18 years and older have a duty free allowance of US$500 for personal imports
- The duty free allowance (US$500) covers both accompanied and unaccompanied baggage
- Minors are not entitled to the US$500 duty free allowance
AGGREGATE DUTY RATES FOR SOME FREQUENTLY IMPORTED ITEMS
- Television – 40.732%
- Computer – 17.432%
- Clothing – 40.732%
- Cellular phone – 26%
UNACCOMPANIED BAGGAGE DECLARATION (C27/YELLOW) FORM
- The C27 form is valid for two months from the date the passenger lands in Jamaica.
- It is issued only to arriving passengers who have unaccompanied baggage.
- This form (C27/Yellow) cannot be used to clear commercial or charitable items.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS WHEN CLEARING BARRELS AND PACKAGES FOR PERSONAL USE
- Bill of Lading /Airway Bill
- Government issued identification, such as a valid passport
- Taxpayer Registration Number – TRN
- Unaccompanied Baggage Declaration (C27/Yellow) Form, if applicable
- Where necessary, import permits must be obtained before the goods arrive in Jamaica.
- Import rates can be obtained from the Jamaica Customs Agency’s Customer Service Team prior to purchase.
- A proper invoice must be presented when clearing items purchased overseas.
IMPORTING MOTOR VEHICLES
- The import rates for motor cars and SUVs are determined by the cc rating/engine size of the vehicle.
- The import rates for pick-up are determined by the unladen weight.
- An Import Licence must be obtained from the Trade Board Limited
- The clearance of all motor vehicles must be done by a licensed Customs Broker.
CLEARING CHARITABLE ITEMS
- Organisations registered under the Charities Act will not pay Import Duties or General Consumption Tax (GCT) on approved goods imported for charitable purposes
- Motor vehicles imported for charity will be exempt from Special Consumption Tax (SCT)
MINIMAL VALUE – US$50
- Personal imports with a FOB (free on Board) value of US$50 or less will not be subject to import charges.
- Goods imported for commercial use will be subject to import charge, regardless of the FOB value.
- There are no taxes or duties levied on exports. However, Customs Processing Fee of JA$3005 is applicable.
- All exporters of commercial goods are required to register with Jamaica Promotion (JAMPRO).
Contact the Customer Service Team at Jamaica Customs:
- For all customs related enquiries and procedures
- If you wish to comment on our service
- If you have suggestions on how we can serve you better
Telephone: 1(876) 922-5140-8 extensions 3148, 3149, 3009 or 3497