Customs House Series #12
ASYCUDA World – Reforming Jamaica Customs
The Jamaica Customs Agency (JCA) has re-engineered its business and operating processes towards achieving greater efficiency, with the full implementation of the Automated System for Customs Data, ASYCUDA World, at its various locations, the start of the 2016/17 fiscal year.
- So, what is ASYCUDA World?
- How does it impact the operations of the JCA?
- What are the benefits?
- How is it funded?
What is ASYCUDA WORLD?
ASYCUDA is a web-based application that allows clients of the JCA, including Customs Brokers & Shipping Agents, to undertake e-transactions such as the submission of manifests, declarations, payments, and documents. ASYCUDA was designed by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), aimed at assisting with Customs reform. ASYCUDA is the leading system for Customs modernisation worldwide, with ASYCUDA World being the latest version.
The primary purpose of ASYCUDA is to help countries facilitate trade by strengthening the capacity of Customs administrations to carry out their operations more effectively. ASYCUDA accelerates Customs clearance and simplifies procedures through computerisation.
How does it impact the operations of the JCA and our partners?
The implementation of ASYCUDA World is in keeping with strategy of the Government of Jamaica (GOJ) to engender greater efficiency and high performance among public sector entities. For instance, the system provides the Statistical Institute of Jamaica (STATIN) with direct and real-time electronic access to data on imports and exports, transshipment and other areas, thus significantly reducing or altogether eliminating the need for the entity to manually peruse documents covering these areas.
This technology-driven system simplifies and standardises procedures for customers, reduces waiting time, provides more accurate and consistent tax calculations, and addresses revenue leakage, through enhanced system controls and accountability.
What are the benefits of ASYCUDA World?
Prior to ASYCUDA World, importers and brokers were required to physically submit for processing, paper-based documentation. With the implementation of this system, stakeholders can make electronic submissions of their declarations and other supporting documents. This has resulted in significant reduction in costs for the Agency and our clients.
Some of the Benefits Include:
- Comprehensive review of business processes in order to simplify procedures for customers by removing bureaucratic processes and bottlenecks where possible.
- Reduction of waiting time for commercial importation due to removal of hardcopy requirements.
- Provision of more accurate and consistent tax calculations.
- Automated control of Trade Agreements through validation of allowable commodities.
- Integration of Customs with other trade regulatory agencies. Reduces time for documentary review, thereby expediting declaration processing.
- Improvement of ‘Business to Business’ (B2B) logistics through the Port Community system (PCS) as ASYCUDA will be tightly integrated with the PCS allowing for efficient logistics management.
- More efficient and speedier preparation of large declarations with multiple items by the brokers.
- Reduction in travelling costs to clients as a significant number of commercial declarations processed do not need the Broker and/or importer to visit Customs House as before; the declaration is submitted and paid online.
- Efficiency gained from automatic write-off of permits/licences through integration with the e-Trade system.
- Better Integration with Tax Administration Jamaica (TAJ) through data sharing and validation.
How is the JCA’s ASYCUDA project funded?
The project is funded by the Government of Jamaica and the Inter-American Development Bank. For queries about the project, or for assistance with the system, our clients are invited to contact the JCA at 750-3030 or 922-5140-8. You may also email email@example.com.